We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is Gar

Our users have posted a total of 507 messages in 88 subjects

Share | 

Billy possibly being bi polar

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Billy possibly being bi polar   Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Something I have wondered about Billy was if he could have been bi polar because some have said he had a dark side along with his happy go lucky side. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Marcelle Brothers
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 am

That's an interesting point.

Now I'm not physiologist, but just what I know and read about the bipolar disorder, it's usually someone who has two very different sides to their personality...one is an euphoria high and the other a very depressive low, which can sometimes lead to aggressive behavior or suicidal tendencies. The mood swings are usually sudden and to the effect of “mania” (like panic attacks). There are different levels of bipolarism, but the symptoms are the same -some are minor and others are severe, even leading to hallucinations.

Could Billy have been bipolar?

Personally, I don’t think so. Billy seemed to have a stable mind, cool-head, never was known to show stress or fear, and seemed to be in a happy-go-lucky mood most of the time. If he was bipolar, his stress level would’ve most surely snapped during his incarceration and he would’ve reached a “mania” level and become either aggressive towards his jailers or made attempts to commit suicide. There’s no record of him behaving in that matter. It’s quite the contrary, reporters and jailers all say he took his situation in stride and was cooperative.

Another reason I don’t think he was bipolar, is a person with that disorder would not have been able to contain themselves or not show emotion with Bob Olinger’s taunting and teasing. Billy was indeed able to contain himself, not show emotion, appeared completely unfazed, and even returned the banter with his customary sense of humor. Even when a mob threaten to lynch Billy, he didn’t show any nervousness or fear, but was relaxed and even joked to the mob by putting his hand on his attorney’s shoulder and said, “Here’s your man.”

Billy was rough and could be dangerous in situations, but that was the way of life in that era. I don’t think he was bad tempered, mean spirited or bipolar, maybe at the most he suffered from delusions of grandeur.

Well, that’s my two cents. I hope it was food for thought.
Back to top Go down
http://aboutbillythekid.forumotion.net
Bronte

Female Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:00 pm

I have a close family member who is bi-polar and I can say this much if you ever meet someone who is truly bi-polar you'll know it within the first hour of being introduced to them.The mood swings are mind -nunbing and without treatment they could lead to suicide.Billy from what I've read doesn't seem to have those extreme lows. He has been described as being a happy person just trying to make the best out of a bad situation.I have to agree with Marcelle if he had been bi-polar he would've never been able to cope or relationalize with everything that had been thrown in his path.He would've gone down long before July 14,1881. Sad

Last edited by Bronte on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Novalee Meadow

Female Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:04 am

My best friend growing up was bipolar, I have since worked with the mentally ill population for about 5 years now. I can say (from my experiences) that people with bipolar usually have clearly defined manic and depressive episodes, however the length of each episode as well as the severity of the episodes can vary extremely. I remeber my friend would show different moods within hours of each other, yet I have worked with people who have had days or weeks go by between episodes. I have often wonder if Billy was bipolar but because there is no documentation of him having depressive episodes...even in the slighest, I am inclined to say he wasn't bipolar.
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:30 am

Novalee Meadow wrote:
My best friend growing up was bipolar, I have since worked with the mentally ill population for about 5 years now. I can say (from my experiences) that people with bipolar usually have clearly defined manic and depressive episodes, however the length of each episode as well as the severity of the episodes can vary extremely. I remeber my friend would show different moods within hours of each other, yet I have worked with people who have had days or weeks go by between episodes. I have often wonder if Billy was bipolar but because there is no documentation of him having depressive episodes...even in the slighest, I am inclined to say he wasn't bipolar.

I had a nephew who was bi-polar and it was a sad sight. He committed suicide using a shotgun.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:39 am

I'd pretty much have to go along with the majority opinion here...Billy just seemed to be a pretty happy go lucky and probably at times a very cocky kid who just got completely caught up in a bad situation at a very young age...one of the reasons I favor the image on the left side of my avitar as being BTK is the tilted head, cocky, smug presentation...it also doesn't hurt that the photo was found a few years ago by Luz Jaramillo in an old album of her grandmothers....Paulita Maxwell.

Best wishes to all
Dave
Back to top Go down
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:42 am

woops...correction Paulita was either Luz Jaramillo's great grandmother or gg grandmother...

Dave
Back to top Go down
Bronte

Female Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:51 pm

I want to clarirfy my last post just a little.When I said that you"ll know within a matter of time if someone is bi-polar I meant that you will start to pick up on their mood swings right off the bat.I didn't mean that they were constantly having manic episodes.However with my relative sometimes I do experience the swings on a daily basis and on some days they are severe.She is on meds for her illness but sometimes they just don't seem to be enough.Her son has even checked with her doctor to see if she needs more medication or even a differnrt kind.The doctor assures him that that is not the case.The more that I think about this thread the more I agree that Billy was not bi-polar.He was just a boy who got in over his head but some how managed to keep his smile and will to live. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Novalee Meadow

Female Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 am

Russell Burrows wrote:

I had a nephew who was bi-polar and it was a sad sight. He committed suicide using a shotgun.

Russ

I am extremely sorry to hear that Russ. My friend use to sit on the railroad track and threaten to kill herself, but thankfully never got a chance to go through with it (she was sent to a psychiatric center). It is a sad situation for anybody to go through. My sympathy goes out to you and your family.
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Guest wrote:
Something I have wondered about Billy was if he could have been bi polar because some have said he had a dark side along with his happy go lucky side. Just a thought.

Linda:
One thing is for sure. He had some problems.

Russ
Back to top Go down
stevenz

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:23 am

Russell Burrows wrote:
Guest wrote:

Linda:
One thing is for sure. He had some problems.

Russ

Well he walked the criminal rode which generally turns out to be a problem you either end up in jail or dead but i don,t think he was bi polar he had by all accounts a friendly side to him history shows that aside from the Lincoln county war he didn,t go around looking to kill people he would do it if trouble came his way but didn,t look for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billy possibly being bi polar   

Back to top Go down

Billy possibly being bi polar
Page 1 of 1