Share | 

Early Pioneer of Colorado

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DonnaT

Female Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Early Pioneer of Colorado   Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 am

I recently came across some documentation that a great-great-uncle of mine was one of the early citizens of frontier Colorado. John W. "Cap" Barron was an Indian Fighter, Stage Coach driver for the Butterfield line, and Cattleman. There is a street called Barron in Hugo, Colorado named after him.

Up until this point, I thought all my relatives were from Austria on my mom's side and Kentucky, Missouri, and areas in the south on my dad's. I had no idea that one of them moved out west and made a name for himself and was a true western pioneer.

Fun Facts for Sure.
Back to top Go down
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Early Pioneer of Colorado   Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Anyone interested in pioneer Colorado should read Isabella Bird's 'A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains'; she spent time in Estes Park in 1873,quite the gal,could cowboy with the best of them....conflicted about Mountain Jim Nugent,as colorful a character as the Old West ever threw up,seems she did fancy the one-eyed reprobate but Victorian sensibilities kept the fires banked...the feelings were mutual....once confessed to her sister 'I dreamt Mr Nugent came in and shot me with his revolver'....Dr Freud could have written a tome on that one....seems Jim was quite literate and contributed to pioneer papers...

Mountain Jim fell victim to developers;the Earl of Dunraven wanted to build a hotel in the park;Jim lived close to the entrance and tended to dissuade anyone from interfering with his paradise.Evans,Isabella's host while she was there,sided with the Earl and shot him.Jim, however, had often threatened to plug Evan's himself,so looks like self-defence.
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Early Pioneer of Colorado   Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Paul O'Brien aka paulo wrote:
Anyone interested in pioneer Colorado should read Isabella Bird's 'A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains'; she spent time in Estes Park in 1873,quite the gal,could cowboy with the best of them....conflicted about Mountain Jim Nugent,as colorful a character as the Old West ever threw up,seems she did fancy the one-eyed reprobate but Victorian sensibilities kept the fires banked...the feelings were mutual....once confessed to her sister 'I dreamt Mr Nugent came in and shot me with his revolver'....Dr Freud could have written a tome on that one....seems Jim was quite literate and contributed to pioneer papers...

Mountain Jim fell victim to developers;the Earl of Dunraven wanted to build a hotel in the park;Jim lived close to the entrance and tended to dissuade anyone from interfering with his paradise.Evans,Isabella's host while she was there,sided with the Earl and shot him.Jim, however, had often threatened to plug Evan's himself,so looks like self-defence.

We have had a ton of strange events here in Colorado but it is getting stranger with all the folks moving here from California. Pretty soon, it won't be Colorado any more but something like little California.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Early Pioneer of Colorado   Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:48 am

Mebbe state should be re christened Caloradia....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Pioneer of Colorado   

Back to top Go down

Early Pioneer of Colorado
Page 1 of 1