Share | 

Singing Cowboys

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Singing Cowboys   Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Very Happy Hi Buckaroos...I've noticed that most of us are "old" enough to remember the era of the singing cowboys and saturday matinee westerns....come on, guys admit it boomers rule bounce Basketball cheers

Music, (especially campfire cowboy and western swing ) have been an intergal part of my life and I'd like to get a thread going regarding the songsters of the western saga.....tell us who you're favorite singing cowboy was or maybe your favorite saturday matinee idol..he how 'bout your favorite TV gunslinger???

Personally, I love cowboy music as was fashoined by groups like the Sons of the Pioneers and kept alive by fellas like Riders in the Sky and Michael Martin Murphy...I grew up listening to western swing and one of my grade school buddies' dad (Lou Walker) played lead guitar for several years with Bob Wills and the Texas PLayboys and I got to sit in one or two impromptu jams at their house....I can't get enough of Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel and my hometown homie Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley boys.....Gene, Roy and Hoppy were childhood idols who really loved kids like me...how lucky could a kid get??

How 'bout you???

Happy trails
Dave
Back to top Go down
linda J

Female Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Mine would have to be Roy Rogers, and don't forget singing cowgirl Dale Evans
Back to top Go down
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Roy and Dale   Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:33 am

Not only were they talented and very,very popular but they were the real deal..two awesome Christians who lived thier faith.....one of the very first USO shows I got to see in Vietnam was Roy and Dale....real life western heroes to me and thoudands of other "kids".... there will always be a special place in my heart for Roy Rogers and Dale Evans

Happy trails
Dave

p.s....a sad farewell to Paul Harvey..."and now ya know the rest of the story"....
Back to top Go down
Bill Van

Male Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:12 am

Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Gene Autry. And more probably...its 0212 hrs and I am headed for bed...maybe I'll think of more later....(Bill)
Back to top Go down
linda J

Female Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 pm

Here is another one, Tex Ritter.
Back to top Go down
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Did I hear John Wayne sing in an old B and W oater? before he cultivated the pigeon-toed swagger?!!

Laurel and Hardy did a good number 'The trail of the Lonesome Pine' in ? Way Out West?...think it hit the charts again not so long ago in UK.

Also how about Dino , Colorado and the old coot (Stumpy) in Rio Bravo? pretty good!!!!

give me The Sons of the Pioneers every time....
Back to top Go down
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:51 pm

ps...and of course Bob Hope as Painless Potter in The Paleface singing Buttons and Bows...a great send up movie all too infrequently shown...
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Dave wrote:
Very Happy Hi Buckaroos...I've noticed that most of us are "old" enough to remember the era of the singing cowboys and saturday matinee westerns....come on, guys admit it boomers rule bounce Basketball cheers

Music, (especially campfire cowboy and western swing ) have been an intergal part of my life and I'd like to get a thread going regarding the songsters of the western saga.....tell us who you're favorite singing cowboy was or maybe your favorite saturday matinee idol..he how 'bout your favorite TV gunslinger???

Personally, I love cowboy music as was fashoined by groups like the Sons of the Pioneers and kept alive by fellas like Riders in the Sky and Michael Martin Murphy...I grew up listening to western swing and one of my grade school buddies' dad (Lou Walker) played lead guitar for several years with Bob Wills and the Texas PLayboys and I got to sit in one or two impromptu jams at their house....I can't get enough of Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel and my hometown homie Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley boys.....Gene, Roy and Hoppy were childhood idols who really loved kids like me...how lucky could a kid get??

How 'bout you???

Happy trails
Dave

Dave, my favorite was Wilf Carter aka montana Slim and Jimmie Rodgers. Then too there was Jimmie Davis.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Paul O'Brien aka paulo wrote:
Did I hear John Wayne sing in an old B and W oater? before he cultivated the pigeon-toed swagger?!!

Laurel and Hardy did a good number 'The trail of the Lonesome Pine' in ? Way Out West?...think it hit the charts again not so long ago in UK.

Also how about Dino , Colorado and the old coot (Stumpy) in Rio Bravo? pretty good!!!!

give me The Sons of the Pioneers every time....

Paul, I remember that John Wayne movie too but as I recall the singer was a stand in for the Duke who couldn't carry a tune in a tin bucket.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Singing Cowboys   

Back to top Go down

Singing Cowboys
Page 1 of 1