Share | 

Which way did he go?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Which way did he go?   Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 am

Has anyone given any thought to which way Billy went when he broke out in Lincoln? I know but want to see if anyone else does.

Russ
Back to top Go down
stevenz

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 am

From the reading i have done he headed towards his old haunts in the fort sumner area not in Fort sumner it,s self but in the area.
Back to top Go down
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:05 pm

To Las Tablas where Ighenio Salazar knocked off the rest of his shackles.
Then if you believe J P Meadows he showed up at his place and recounted how he broke out by clubbing Bell with a slipped off manacle and seized his pistol.probably the real account, as he told the bemused crowd in Lincoln before he left he had grabbed Bell's pistol.For conspiracy theorists this may have been to protect whoever (if anybody) left a pistol for him in the privy.
Unfortunately none of the witnesses at the time of the breakout say whether Bell still had his pistol on him when he died.

Then back to the Fort Sumner area to see his queridas....

Funny, Meadows says his eyes were hazel,most others say blue,clerk at his trial says 'dark'.

But then nobody really took any notice until he became famous years later,and then everybody wanted in on the act.....
Back to top Go down
Bronte

Female Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:32 pm

I agree with Paul's story of the events.
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Bronte wrote:
I agree with Paul's story of the events.

What Paulo said is right however, the doctor who autopsied Bell said his pistol was still in his holster and fully loaded.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:04 pm

I have also read the account that Bell’s pistol was still in the holster and unfired. Some have disagreed with this however, and claimed that the hammer was resting on a spent cartridge, which was the custom in those days so you didn’t accidentally shoot yourself and that the spent cartridge may have been recently fired. Who know. This aspect of Billy’s escape has always interested me. Although the armory was right next to the stairwell I have always wondered why there would have been a loaded pistol so readily at hand and accessible. It does make one wonder if Billy came by that gun he used from a concealed place in the outhouse, or if someone had smuggled one in for him. Still…the armory was just two steps away from the head of the stairs. Guess we will never know for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
Russell Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Cliff Caldwell wrote:
I have also read the account that Bell’s pistol was still in the holster and unfired. Some have disagreed with this however, and claimed that the hammer was resting on a spent cartridge, which was the custom in those days so you didn’t accidentally shoot yourself and that the spent cartridge may have been recently fired. Who know. This aspect of Billy’s escape has always interested me. Although the armory was right next to the stairwell I have always wondered why there would have been a loaded pistol so readily at hand and accessible. It does make one wonder if Billy came by that gun he used from a concealed place in the outhouse, or if someone had smuggled one in for him. Still…the armory was just two steps away from the head of the stairs. Guess we will never know for sure.

The only problem with the armory theory is that Billy would have had to kick the door or slam into it. Surely Bell would have heard that since he probably was coming up the stairs. That should have made him "hurry" his giddyup a bit.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Russell Burrows wrote:
Cliff Caldwell wrote:

The only problem with the armory theory is that Billy would have had to kick the door or slam into it. Surely Bell would have heard that since he probably was coming up the stairs. That should have made him "hurry" his giddyup a bit.

Russ

As far as the outhouse theory: If that is what happened, thern Billy woould not have used the weapon outside where everyone and his brother could see him thus making him a target. At least in his mind.

I think he whacked Bell on the head with those iron hand cuffs, then went into the armory and got a weapon. Then when Bell got up and tried to run down the stairs, Billy shot him. Who know for sure. All we know for sure is that Billy shot Bell and escaped. We will never know the real story.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which way did he go?   

Back to top Go down

Which way did he go?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: About Billy the Kid :: William H. Bonney aka Billy the Kid-
Jump to: