Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Shot in the heart
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am by stevenz

» Billy the Kid's Famous Photo
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm by Pippen

» New Book On John Chisum
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm by Cliff Caldwell

» New photo of Pat Garrett
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Garrett Family Photo
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 am by DonnaT

» Happy Holidays Everyone!
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Happy Thanksgiving
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 pm by Russell Burrows

» Back again
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am by Russell Burrows

» Jack the Ripper
Native Americans I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm by linda J

Statistics
We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is Gar

Our users have posted a total of 507 messages in 88 subjects

Native Americans

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
linda J
linda J

Female Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Native Americans Empty
PostSubject: Native Americans   Native Americans I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 pm

I don't know if all of you get PBS but every monday at 9:00 pm they been having
programs about different Native American tribes lastnight it was about the Trail of Tears. Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Native Americans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Americans   Native Americans I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 2:34 pm

linda J wrote:
I don't know if all of you get PBS but every monday at 9:00 pm they been having
programs about different Native American tribes lastnight it was about the Trail of Tears. Very interesting.

Linda, the "trail of tears" is the sorryest event in history.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Native Americans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Americans   Native Americans I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:43 pm

Kind of a toss up between the Trail of Tears and the Long Walk that Kit Carson took the Navajo's on in the mid 1860's. I had the privelage of working with the Navajo Tribe for a couple of years and learned first hand their version of the story. If you go on the reservation in Arizona or New Mexico today I would not mention the name Kit Carson if I were you. Unfortunately history only recently has talked about what happened through the eyes of the Indians. It's a sad chapter in our history and it's too bad we could not have worked out a better way to cohabitate. The worst part, I am afraid, is how we have treated the Indians in our lifetime. We celebrate Balck History, but have done so little to try and make up for the decades of stripping the Indians of their heritage, their land and their pride. Reservation schools were the perhaps the worst. Allowing gambling has done little but foster organized crime, more alcoholism and family abuse. Most Americans either don't care or cover their heads and pretend that it did not happen. In my lifetime I remember the signs that said "White only", but I also remember the signs that said "No Indians"...within the last two decades.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
linda J
linda J

Native Americans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Americans   Native Americans I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:56 pm

I agree Russ. my 4th great Grandmother was a Cherokee. I think what was done to the Native Americans is disgustingly shameful and that is putting it mildly.
Back to top Go down
linda J
linda J

Native Americans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Americans   Native Americans I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Cliff Caldwell wrote:
Kind of a toss up between the Trail of Tears and the Long Walk that Kit Carson took the Navajo's on in the mid 1860's. I had the privelage of working with the Navajo Tribe for a couple of years and learned first hand their version of the story. If you go on the reservation in Arizona or New Mexico today I would not mention the name Kit Carson if I were you. Unfortunately history only recently has talked about what happened through the eyes of the Indians. It's a sad chapter in our history and it's too bad we could not have worked out a better way to cohabitate. The worst part, I am afraid, is how we have treated the Indians in our lifetime. We celebrate Balck History, but have done so little to try and make up for the decades of stripping the Indians of their heritage, their land and their pride. Reservation schools were the perhaps the worst. Allowing gambling has done little but foster organized crime, more alcoholism and family abuse. Most Americans either don't care or cover their heads and pretend that it did not happen. In my lifetime I remember the signs that said "White only", but I also remember the signs that said "No Indians"...within the last two decades.

I vagely remember signs saying white only. I was born in 1953 so I think most of that changed somewhat when I was growing up.
I shouldn't probably say this but the Native Americans have more pride in their race than most blacks do in theirs. I don't remember any signs about Indians but I lived in the midwest(Indiana) There were very few that lived near us. Blacks either in my neighborhood anyway.
Back to top Go down
Dave
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Native Americans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Americans   Native Americans I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 9:40 pm

I think you guys have really hit the nail right on the head with your thoughts on the awful way the American Indian has been treated by us, the american people.
As you've probably figured out by now, I realy love books about American history, most especially the great Southwest. This past saturday I made another "find" browsing around at a book sellers shop..."Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown which should be a classic account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian over the second half of the nineteenth century. I'll be diving into it shortly and will do a review here if you are at all interested.
Marcelle, how 'bout a "book review" forum?..I'll gladly help and I'll bet Cliff and some of the others here would also pitch in.
Oh, by the way if you're ever down here Texas way be sure and head over to Ft. Worth and cruise around the historic stockyard district and don't pass up some awesome Tex-Mex at Joe T. Garcias (check out the beautiful patio/garden area!!).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Native Americans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native Americans   Native Americans I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Native Americans
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: American-Indians-
Jump to: