Share | 

Wetzel and Col. Broadhead

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Wetzel and Col. Broadhead   Sun May 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Lewis Wetzel and friend Billy Boggs decided to join up with the volunteer militia of Col. broadhead simply for the chance to kill Indians. This was in April, 1791. Also in this group was an Indian named KIll Buck. Many of the Militiamen didn't like having this Indian with them so Broadhead had him secured in the jail at Fort Henry. This was 26 April, 1791. Wetzel and his friend Billy boggs managed to slip into the jail along with others. The two, Wetzel and Boggs had hidden their tomahawks under their hunting shirts and when the oppertunity presented its self, Wetzel pulled his "hawk" and sank it to the hilt in the head of KIll Buck, killing him instantly.

Col. Broad head was enraged at this event and having the tomahawk: It was buried so deeply in the head of KIll Buck that Wetzel couldn't free it, attempted to have the owner of the tomahawk identified but no one would claim they knew who it belonged to. Broadhead suspected Wetztel but couldn't prove he was the murderer. Broadhead had Wetzel brought before him and when asked, denied any knowledge of the murder so, Broadhed employed thumb screws, first to Wetzels thumbs then to each finger of both hands. Wetzel would not admit that the tomahawk was his or that he had killed Kill Buck.

Broadhead released Wetzel who stood on the bank of the Ohio and watched the Militia row away. He raised both of his swollen hands, looked at them and supposedly said, 'well, I won't be doing and loading while I am running for awhile'. Wetzel had developed the ability to load his long rifle at a dead run, No small feat when we considet that that rifle, a small bore of .32 calebre was nearly five feet in length while Wetzle was but five feet, ten inches tall. That is how it was on the Ohio River in the 1780-1790s.

Russ
Back to top Go down

Wetzel and Col. Broadhead
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: American-Indians-
Jump to: