Share | 

General Lew.Wallace

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: General Lew.Wallace   Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:28 am

The General did'nt really come to grips with the realities of 19th century New Mexico.Instead of facing down the hard men who made Cimarron and Lincoln County civil disasters that impeded the quest for statehood for a generation, he procrastinated,hunkering down in the Palace of the Governors ,polishing up 'Ben Hur' and fiddling with mining plays.His wife was'nt too keen on New Mexico either ,though she did pen some very worthwhile observations.She did remark that the US should go to war with Old Mexico again to get them to take New Mexico back,"a land of endless wind and sunshine".

In the LCW Wallace seems to have swallowed the McSweenite line;his amnesty proclamation was a disaster ,bringing back a slew of gunmen who had fled the county after the 5 day battle,tho' it did prompt Bonney to come forward and dish the dirt on Dolan,Evans and Campbell in the Chapman killing in hopes of being absolved of the Brady murder.District Attorney Rynerson,Major Brady's friend and fellow Mason ,was'nt having any of that.

At the Court of Inquiry that absolved Colonel Dudley of blame in McSween's death and other charges,Dudley's Counsel,Henry Waldo, said that what the desperados who created hell in Lincoln County needed was a gallows,not an amnesty.Amen to that.
Back to top Go down
Marcelle Brothers
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: General Lew.Wallace   Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:49 pm

True indeed. Wallace had this notion that going to New Mexico to fix the mess was going to be a quick easy job. He thought, "Aw, what a great chance to get some peace and quiet to finish my book." Wallace didn't take matters seriously or finished what he started; he blew off Billy after he risked his life to be his informant (what can I say I'm bias), didn't bring down the hammer on the political corruption, and at the first opportunity to abandon his position, he bailed on New Mexico. He even blew off Garrett regarding the reward money for killing Billy (and rightfully so, again I'm bias Wink ). The only thing on that man's mind was "Ben Hur," not the lawlessness of New Mexico.
Back to top Go down
http://aboutbillythekid.forumotion.net
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: General Lew.Wallace   Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Wallace also bowed to pressure from Chisum not to pardon the Kid...Chisum wanted Billy dead and gone so as he would'nt testify to Chisum's role in plotting the Brady assassination; he provided killers Henry Brown,Jim French and Frank McNab to help do the cowardly work..

also it was Chisum suggested Garret run for the sheriff's job,ostensibly to counter cattle rustling but the real agenda was to get the Kid who seems to have asked Chisum for pay for unspecified services..

"It was Chisum got me in to all this trouble and then would'nt let me get out"...Billy seemed to realize Chisum was blocking a pardon.

John S Chisum's real role in the LCW has yet to be really explored.John Wayne he was'nt..
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: General Lew.Wallace   Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Paul,
You are sooooooo right about Chisum. I have been working on him for years now. Actually longer than I have worked on the LCW. That is how I got into this (the LCW) in the first place. With any luck I shall finish my book on him this year. Although,like everything to do with the LCW, the research and learning is never done.
Cliff
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Lew.Wallace   

Back to top Go down

General Lew.Wallace
Page 1 of 1