Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Shot in the heart
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am by stevenz

» Billy the Kid's Famous Photo
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm by Pippen

» New Book On John Chisum
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm by Cliff Caldwell

» New photo of Pat Garrett
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Garrett Family Photo
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 am by DonnaT

» Happy Holidays Everyone!
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Happy Thanksgiving
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 pm by Russell Burrows

» Back again
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am by Russell Burrows

» Jack the Ripper
Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm by linda J

Statistics
We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is Gar

Our users have posted a total of 507 messages in 88 subjects

Shot in the heart

Go down 
+5
Russell Burrows
Paul O'Brien aka paulo
Marcelle Brothers
linda J
Bronte
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bronte
Bronte

Female Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Another year has come and gone in "Billyland" and we still have zillions of unanswered questions pertaining to his life and how he actually met his untimely demise.I know we could go on forever debating the what-ifs but I guess in reality Pat caught Billy off guard and put one right in his heart.So this post will be my 5 minutes of silence in his memory.Rest in peace El Chivato. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
linda J
linda J

Female Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: re:   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Oh yeah, today is the 14th isn't it
Back to top Go down
Marcelle Brothers
Admin
Admin
Marcelle Brothers

Female Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 4:36 pm

I didn't get a chance to post on July 14th, but I was thinking of Billy and that it had been 128 years since our boy was killed. I still think how distressed he must've been to see a suspicious shadow and the sound of a gun cocking, followed by the bright flash of the gun going off and feeling the crushing burning pain in his chest. He was left to die struggling for life on the floor...alone in the dark, gasping for breath, and never knowing who killed him. What desperate thoughts must've been running through his head. He died exactly the way he didn't want to die "killed like a dog unarmed," but worse. in the dark without his boots on.

Rest in Peace Billy. You may have died a tragic death, but your name lives on.
Back to top Go down
https://aboutbillythekid.forumotion.net
linda J
linda J

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: re:   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 7:06 pm

I think it just happened so fast he never knew what hit him.
Back to top Go down
Paul O'Brien aka paulo

Male Number of posts : 33

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 am

Maybe he was staggered to see a bloke with Pedro.....
Back to top Go down
linda J
linda J

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: re:   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Paul O'Brien aka paulo wrote:
Maybe he was staggered to see a bloke with Pedro.....

lol Paul you mean in like they were together, together?
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Marcelle Brothers wrote:
I didn't get a chance to post on July 14th, but I was thinking of Billy and that it had been 128 years since our boy was killed. I still think how distressed he must've been to see a suspicious shadow and the sound of a gun cocking, followed by the bright flash of the gun going off and feeling the crushing burning pain in his chest. He was left to die struggling for life on the floor...alone in the dark, gasping for breath, and never knowing who killed him. What desperate thoughts must've been running through his head. He died exactly the way he didn't want to die "killed like a dog unarmed," but worse. in the dark without his boots on.

Rest in Peace Billy. You may have died a tragic death, but your name lives on.

Dear Marcelle:
That is a terrible way to die for sure but it is better than strangleing on the end of a rope I suppose. But, let's all try and remember that Billy was a crimiinal. Petty but still a criminal.

I find it hard to understand why people of today want to make a guy like that into a hero. Had Garrett really let him go, he would have just gone to Arizona, Texas Utah or...God forbid, here to Colorado and kept up his old games until he did get hung and, from the hanging accounts I have read from that day, they were, mostly a very poor executions. I read of one man whos hanging went bad and after about twenty mnutes, some on grabbed hold of his legs and pulled till the guy was deas, Then, there was Ketchum who got his head pulled off.

No! Thank you but I would take the bullet any time.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Pippen

Male Number of posts : 16

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 5:07 pm

I agree with Russell. Billy was no monster, no Clay Allison or John Selman type of a-hole. But at the end he was a criminal unlike guys like Fred Waite who did choose the right way out after the LCW. Billy didn't. He liked his way of life too much. I can understand that - even more when seeing where he came from - but I can also understand the other side: He was a problem that had to be solved.
Back to top Go down
Dave
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 3:16 am

Scurlock ,Waite and George Coe at least were smart enough to get out while the getting was good. Too bad Bowdre, O'Folliard et al couldn't have done likewise Rolling Eyes

"May all your flies be cast to fiesty bluegill"

Dave
Back to top Go down
stevenz

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 am

Pippen wrote:
I agree with Russell. Billy was no monster, no Clay Allison or John Selman type of a-hole. But at the end he was a criminal unlike guys like Fred Waite who did choose the right way out after the LCW. Billy didn't. He liked his way of life too much. I can understand that - even more when seeing where he came from - but I can also understand the other side: He was a problem that had to be solved.

Jimmy Dolan,judge Bristol and all the corrupt politicians who played such are major role in the Lincoln county war were also problems that needed to be solved what a shame jimmy didn,t met the same fate.

Pat Garrett has also practiced Rustling in his life time he was no saint either.
Back to top Go down
Bronte
Bronte

Female Number of posts : 53

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 2:09 pm

I totally agree with Steven on this one.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Not to be disagreeable, but you shouldn’t be quite so hard on James Dolan (or Lawrence Murphy for that matter). True enough, they resorted to murder. You need to consider the vast differences in the backgrounds of the opposing factions. The Lincoln County War was not a "good guy v/s bad guy" affair. Murphy and Dolan had come from Ireland during the peak of the potato famine. Both from very poor backgrounds. Both had been victimized by the British while in Ireland. Treated poorly, over taxed and their land taken from them. Both arrived with nothing and were persecuted when they got here (not unlike the Italian side of my ancestors). They learned the way of the west while in the military…"I will die before I will retreat". Tunstall came from an upper middle class British family and was raised in relative comfort. McSween was a devout pacifist and a Presbyterian ministry student (perhaps even a minister but that is yet to be verified). Small wonder the two groups clashed! Simply stated, all that Dolan and Murphy were trying to do was protect their business monopoly, which Tunstall and McSween were horning in on. Billy, on the other hand, was little more than petty thief who’s only claim to fame before coming to New Mexico was killing a bully in a bar room fight in Arizona in self defense. He emerged as an unlikely hero, and perhaps not even the most deserving of fame considering some of the other major players. I might have selected Dick Brewer, Andrew "Bill" Williams (alias Buckshot Roberts), Jessie Evans, Jose Chaves y Chavez, Charlie Bowdre, or perhaps even James Dolan given the whole of what he accomplished in his years (albeit significantly violent).
By the way…it’s "Folliard" not "O’Folliard". The "O’Folliard" thing is a historical error that has been perpetuated for a hundred and thirty years. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
stevenz

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am

Cliff Caldwell wrote:

Not to be disagreeable, but you shouldn’t be quite so hard on James Dolan (or Lawrence Murphy for that matter). True enough, they resorted to murder. You need to consider the vast differences in the backgrounds of the opposing factions. The Lincoln County War was not a "good guy v/s bad guy" affair. Murphy and Dolan had come from Ireland during the peak of the potato famine. Both from very poor backgrounds. Both had been victimized by the British while in Ireland. Treated poorly, over taxed and their land taken from them. Both arrived with nothing and were persecuted when they got here (not unlike the Italian side of my ancestors). They learned the way of the west while in the military…"I will die before I will retreat". Tunstall came from an upper middle class British family and was raised in relative comfort. McSween was a devout pacifist and a Presbyterian ministry student (perhaps even a minister but that is yet to be verified). Small wonder the two groups clashed! Simply stated, all that Dolan and Murphy were trying to do was protect their business monopoly, which Tunstall and McSween were horning in on. Billy, on the other hand, was little more than petty thief who’s only claim to fame before coming to New Mexico was killing a bully in a bar room fight in Arizona in self defense. He emerged as an unlikely hero, and perhaps not even the most deserving of fame considering some of the other major players. I might have selected Dick Brewer, Andrew "Bill" Williams (alias Buckshot Roberts), Jessie Evans, Jose Chaves y Chavez, Charlie Bowdre, or perhaps even James Dolan given the whole of what he accomplished in his years (albeit significantly violent).
By the way…it’s "Folliard" not "O’Folliard". The "O’Folliard" thing is a historical error that has been perpetuated for a hundred and thirty years. Embarassed

The kid did more than brewer and Bowdre over the course of his career that is why he is remembered more than them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shot in the heart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shot in the heart   Shot in the heart I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shot in the heart
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: About Billy the Kid :: William H. Bonney aka Billy the Kid-
Jump to: