Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Shot in the heart
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am by stevenz

» Billy the Kid's Famous Photo
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm by Pippen

» New Book On John Chisum
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm by Cliff Caldwell

» New photo of Pat Garrett
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Garrett Family Photo
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 am by DonnaT

» Happy Holidays Everyone!
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Happy Thanksgiving
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 pm by Russell Burrows

» Back again
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am by Russell Burrows

» Jack the Ripper
Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm by linda J

Statistics
We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is Gar

Our users have posted a total of 507 messages in 88 subjects

Billy the Kid's Famous Photo

Go down 
+3
Bronte
Dave
Chris Lampe
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pippen

Male Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Well, I rely on my intuition first. As humans we can usually tell in a second if one face matches the other (even with different angles etc.) and I just don't see any similarity between your two avatar faces. Of course I could be wrong.... So this picture was found in Paulitas photo album? It that for sure? What do historicans say about this picture?

The guy looks like the one of Sallie Chisums fotoalbum. Check it out. Many say it could be Tom Folliard.

So again: Don't get me wrong, I just say what I think. I could be deadwrong here and you certainly have some point IF it's beyond doubt that this picture came from Paulitas album. But then again it could be another guy too. Paulita certainly did not just know Billy. And since Tom was a good buddy of Billy one could also imagine that he found entrance in her album...lot's of possibilities.
Back to top Go down
Chris Lampe

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 1:25 am

I'm pretty sure I've seen a statement from Fred Nolan that there were numerous photos of unidentified young men in Paulita's photo album. I'm not sure why this particular photo has been put forth as possibly being Billy but I'd sure like to get a look at the others.

My personal opinion is that we have not yet seen another photo of Billy the Kid. There are a handful that I think could possibly be him but at this time I don't believe any of them are.
Back to top Go down
Dave
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:31 am

According to an article written by Fred Nolan in 2002 for True West magazine, it was stated that the little 1x1 photo was discovered by Luz Jaramillo (Paulita's GG grandaughter) in the album. I queried Mr Nolan on another BTK board (Lucas Speers) about a year ago and he was of the opinion that it is possible that the picture could be Billy. As Chris stated, no one can prove it one way or another so it just boils down to what each of us perceive. I do believe that of all the purported photos flying around on the BTK boards, this is the only one to have any connection (though roundabout, I admit) with a known acquaintence of Billy.
Mr. Nolan also stated in his reply to my query that as a historian of BTK the most frustrations to him are the lack of provable facts regarding the last 72 days of Billy's life. I would suppose then that the same frustrations apply to purported photos. If only.......
Well, that's another mystery in the life of William Bonney...keeps us coming back, doesn't it? Thanks to all of your for your input...Have a blessed holiday season.
Back to top Go down
Chris Lampe

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Dave,

You make a good point that this photo can at least be traced back with some degree of confidence to people who actually associated with the Kid. A couple of the alleged photos claim a provenance but most were simply discovered in various places and either have some version of his name written on them or they simply resemble him.

I do believe that someday, somebody in the southwestern part of the U.S. is going to be digging thru the belongings of their great-grandparents and they are going to find a photo of Billy that can be traced back to New Mexico Territory in the late 1870's and early 1880's.
Back to top Go down
Dave
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 am

I hope you're right, chris...there's gotta be one floating around out there somewhere...he just had the that kind of ego that had to be photographed...
Back to top Go down
Chris Lampe

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 pm

I believe there probably are other photos out there of Billy. It's been noted that he might not have encountered many opportunities to get a photo taken but there seems to have been no shortage of photographers on the frontier based on the number of photos that are floating around. If we look at the behavior of young cowboys at the end of their several months long cattle drives to Kansas, we'll see that they collected their pay and then spent it. Clothing, gambling, liquor, women....and I suspect photographs whenever possible. These spending sprees are what created the legendary "wild west" years for without these young men letting loose there would have been no need for men like Hickock, Masterson, Earp, etc.... I suspect that after Billy and his friends finished whatever task they were at, whether honest work or rustling, they celebrated in a similar fashion. Paulita has pretty much stated that the first thing Billy would do when he hit town was to get cleaned up and buy new clothes. It seems reasonable to assume he'd get his photo taken if the opportunity presented itself. The real question seems to be how often that opportunity was there.
Back to top Go down
Chris Lampe

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 pm

One photo that I think I'd like to see above all others is one that was reported to be in Arizona. I was told that somewhere in Arizona is an envelope (just like evidence envelopes used by law enforcement today) that contains the belongings that young Henry McCarty had in his possession when he was arrested. One of the items in the envelope was a tintype of a young man. The person who told me this stated that they had held the envelope and the tintype in their hand at one time but had no opinion on who the photo showed. Was this a photo that one of Henry's friends gave to him or was this the elusive second photo of Billy the Kid?

Man oh man, what I wouldn't give to see that tintype!!!!! Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Chris Lampe wrote:
One photo that I think I'd like to see above all others is one that was reported to be in Arizona. I was told that somewhere in Arizona is an envelope (just like evidence envelopes used by law enforcement today) that contains the belongings that young Henry McCarty had in his possession when he was arrested. One of the items in the envelope was a tintype of a young man. The person who told me this stated that they had held the envelope and the tintype in their hand at one time but had no opinion on who the photo showed. Was this a photo that one of Henry's friends gave to him or was this the elusive second photo of Billy the Kid?

Man oh man, what I wouldn't give to see that tintype!!!!! Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 Icon_eek

Wow!!! Me too Chris. What a find that would be.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Pippen

Male Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm more pessimistic we'll ever find other photos, letters or whatever from BTK or his fellow gang-members (but I'm a German and we're always more pessimistic than you US guys Smile).

1. It's about 130 years now and things like photos or letters/diaries (esp. old ones) fade away usually after 100 years (if not in perfect, museumlike, conditions).
2. BTK is infamous, it'd mean fame and fortune to have stuff from the old times connected to him. If one would have something, he/she would have come up with it a long time ago.
3. BTK was always "on the run". He wasn't a cowboy, he was a guy that had enemies. He probably was the fun & fame loving guy he's often described as, but the circumstances probably forced him to be more cautious with taking photos. The more photos, the more people would have gotten an idea of BTK lookalike. In these times you could pretty comfortably live just by ensure that you face wasn't too known. If there were more photos of Billy around then 1. Garrett would have probably used them in his book to push the sale and 2. Garrett would have shown Poe & McKinney one before they headed for Ft. Sumner for they had no clue about Billy's lookalike. If Billy made some photos with his Mexican friends then see pt. 2.

I think the most important thing now in BTK research is to interview the desendants of the Mexicans, Garrett's, Poe's & Co. that lived there. From what I read there's still a lot of fear of those people to debase their ancestors. I just hope there's a history teacher at an NM-university who'll do this stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billy the Kid's Famous Photo   Billy the Kid's Famous Photo - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Billy the Kid's Famous Photo
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2