Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Shot in the heart
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am by stevenz

» Billy the Kid's Famous Photo
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm by Pippen

» New Book On John Chisum
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm by Cliff Caldwell

» New photo of Pat Garrett
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Garrett Family Photo
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 am by DonnaT

» Happy Holidays Everyone!
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Happy Thanksgiving
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 pm by Russell Burrows

» Back again
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am by Russell Burrows

» Jack the Ripper
books and reviews I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm by linda J

Statistics
We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is Gar

Our users have posted a total of 507 messages in 88 subjects

books and reviews

Go down 
+2
DonnaT
Dave
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-01-28

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:07 am

I'm always looking to expand my little library of american and especially western history.....my last addition was the Billy the Kid Reader by Fred Nolan...anybody know of or run across anything of interest lately re: LCW, BTK etc??

Recommednded..."Frontier Doctor" by Dr Henry Hoyt...although there is considerable mention of William Bonney, the book is about Dr. Hoyt, a most interesting fellow in his own right.

Marcelle, maybe a book review or magazine article review section might be in order...what do ya'll think??

Dave
Back to top Go down
DonnaT

Female Number of posts : 13

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:56 pm

I have found Abebooks to be a good source of those hard to find publications relating to BTK & LCW. I recently ordered 2 books I've been searching for, both with material by Philip Rasch.

They are "The Short Life of Tom O'Folliard" and "The Trials of Lieutenant Colonel Dudley".

Depending on the condition of the book, prices can be very resonable or very expensive. Personally, I am interested in ANYTHING containing Philip Rasch material. So far my collection includes four of his works that were published by NOLA.

Good idea Dave about having a section just for books, magazines, etc. The internet is grand, but I love me the books !!
Back to top Go down
Novalee Meadow

Female Number of posts : 6

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 4:59 pm

I order the "Short Life and Times of Tom O'Folliard" from Abebooks, about a year or two ago. It was more of a short pamphlet or magazine then an actually book. In my opinion it was a little expensive for the material that it actually provided. However, if you are a collector of material written by Philip Rasch then you might be happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Bill Van

Male Number of posts : 14

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:21 am

Hey Dave,

Yeah, I've run across a few books over the past few months that I am sure you would enjoy if you don't already have them. Cliff Caldwell's book's "Old West Tales: Good Men, Bad Men, Law Men" is a series of short stories that are fun and interesting to read and "Deadright-The Lincoln County War" is a write up/history of each of the players in the LCW; a very informative synopsis of each and every character involved. (I hope I got the title right on the second book, I loaned it to my Brother-in-Law and don't have it sitting on my desk to copy from) I managed to get signed copies of both books!!!

I also obtained a copy of Donna Tatting's "Lincoln County War Series, Court of Inquiry: Lieutenant Colonel N.A.M. Dudley" and I have not been able to put it down. Donna T's book is a two volume set. I am only about a third of the way through the first book. So far it reflects just what kind of person Dudley was and as far as I am concerned proves that he was part of the "Ring"...lots of lying and covering up...and its really "in your face" lying and covering up. After reading only a third of the first volume it is obvious (to me) that BTK was assassinated...He was the only person that was willing to testify against Dolan concerning the Chapman murder...Chapman (via Susan McSween) was in the process of blowing everyone's cover who were members of the "Ring". They just couldn't have that you know. I think the Rings connections ran all the way up to D.C. I got signed copies of Donna's books too!!!

Both Cliff's and Donna's books are well worth your money.

Bill/ruidosoman
Back to top Go down
Dave
Dave

Male Number of posts : 59

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: books   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:41 pm

where would I go to get thos books??

I think it's great that both Donna and Cliff are not only members of this board but great contributors as well...many thanks to you both!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 am

Dave,
You can get either (or both) of the books I have published now in several ways, including ordering them from your local book store. But...if you want a signed one just e-mail me through the "contact" link on my website www.cclandandcattle.com. There you can pay by PayPal and it's pretty slick!

Thanks for the interest. Laughing

Cliff
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
DonnaT

Female Number of posts : 13

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:47 am

Getting the Dudley Court of Inquiry was a huge undertaking done at great expense which is why only 100 copies of the 2 Volume Set were printed. As of just a few weeks ago, I am completely sold out and have no plans to reprint. However, it has been suggested that I investigate a Print On Demand option so that copies are printed only as they are sold. This is a new concept to me and one I seriously should consider.

The book has become a collector's item and I am told there one or two available on Abebooks.com, but I think the price is around $125.00. If the interest is still out there, I'd feel remiss in not making it available again.

Members of this board will be the first to know if and when copies are reprinted. What do you all think ? Is there still interest out there ?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Donna,
I would strongly encourage you to do another printing of the Dudley Court of Inquiry books. As you know I bought a set, as did several people I know. All of us found them to be indispensable as reference material and interesting reading to boot. It would be a shame for them to no longer be available.

I have used print on demand and once you convert your text to PDF in the correct format it’s pretty easy to do. There are services that will do the conversion for as little as about $25. Please contact me if I can be of any help telling you about my experiences with POD.

Cliff
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
Bill Van

Male Number of posts : 14

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Donna,

I cant say it any better than Cliff said it. I agree.

(Bill)
Back to top Go down
Craig S.

Male Number of posts : 8

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Donna:

I concur. In fact, I was planning on ordering your book and am dissapointed that it is no longer available. Crying or Very sad I would love it if you could make it available even if through a demand basis. I find it interesting that when you look at the profiles of the users on this site, you notice that the ranges of ages and locations vary. That tells me that there continues to be and probably will always be new people of all ages frpm all over who will develop an interest in Billy the Kid history and the LCW. It would be a shame for your book to not be available for future generations of BTK/LCW enthusiasts. And shame on me for not having purchased your book before now!

Craig
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

books and reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: books and reviews   books and reviews I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

books and reviews
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: About Billy the Kid :: William H. Bonney aka Billy the Kid-
Jump to: