Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Shot in the heart
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am by stevenz

» Billy the Kid's Famous Photo
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm by Pippen

» New Book On John Chisum
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm by Cliff Caldwell

» New photo of Pat Garrett
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Garrett Family Photo
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 am by DonnaT

» Happy Holidays Everyone!
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Happy Thanksgiving
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 pm by Russell Burrows

» Back again
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am by Russell Burrows

» Jack the Ripper
Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm by linda J

Statistics
We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is Gar

Our users have posted a total of 507 messages in 88 subjects

Preferred pistol

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Preferred pistol Empty
PostSubject: Preferred pistol   Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 am

Dave, the thing that has always caused me to wonder is, did Billy carry a .44-40 or did he carry a .45. I would have thought that he would have preferred the .45 because of it being more dependable and more accurate with the longer barrel.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Preferred pistol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred pistol   Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Russell Burrows wrote:
Dave, the thing that has always caused me to wonder is, did Billy carry a .44-40 or did he carry a .45. I would have thought that he would have preferred the .45 because of it being more dependable and more accurate with the longer barrel.

Russ

That's an easy one....he carried a .45...at least early on in the LCW since the .44-40 was not introduced until some time in 1878 making it impossible for anyone at the onset of the LCW to have had a .44-40 Colt Model 1873 Single Action.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Preferred pistol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred pistol   Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Cliff Caldwell wrote:
Russell Burrows wrote:

Russ

That's an easy one....he carried a .45...at least early on in the LCW since the .44-40 was not introduced until some time in 1878 making it impossible for anyone at the onset of the LCW to have had a .44-40 Colt Model 1873 Single Action.

Cliff, that is what I thought but there was some discussion on the other board that he carried a .44-40. I, myself would have, and do preferre the .45. Better range and accurcy for a hand gun plus it makes a fine club.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Preferred pistol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred pistol   Preferred pistol I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Keep in mind that I am not suggesting that he carried the .45 throughout the affair. He may have switched to the .44-40 when they became available since he could have used the same cartridge in his Winchester 1873 Carbine (which was only available in .44-40 up until about the time of Billy’s death). If I had to bet money on it I would say that he made the switch. I would certainly have given his situation. He was not able to pop into the local WalMart and pick up a box of shells when he wanted. He was on the lamb, and probably reloaded his own shells. Again…just speculation…but a “historian” gathers and studies the facts and “interprets” the data. Most often people act in predictable and logical ways.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
Sponsored content

Preferred pistol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred pistol   Preferred pistol I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Preferred pistol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: About Billy the Kid :: William H. Bonney aka Billy the Kid-
Jump to: