Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Shot in the heart
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am by stevenz

» Billy the Kid's Famous Photo
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm by Pippen

» New Book On John Chisum
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm by Cliff Caldwell

» New photo of Pat Garrett
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Garrett Family Photo
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 am by DonnaT

» Happy Holidays Everyone!
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm by Marcelle Brothers

» Happy Thanksgiving
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 pm by Russell Burrows

» Back again
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am by Russell Burrows

» Jack the Ripper
The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm by linda J

Statistics
We have 21 registered users
The newest registered user is Gar

Our users have posted a total of 507 messages in 88 subjects

The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Marcelle Brothers
Admin
Admin
Marcelle Brothers

Female Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-18

The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber Empty
PostSubject: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:35 pm

We've seen the hair locks claimed to be Billy's at the Billy the Kid Museum in Fort Sumner and now there's a barber's chair on displaced at Mesilla. The story is Billy got a hair cut just before he went to court for his trial. It makes sense, his lawyer might’ve wanted him to clean up for trial and it would also explain why the barber or whoever kept pieces of his locks – “I got hair from a famous outlaw!”

So I'm wondering how authenticate is this scenario? Could that hair at the museum be real after all?

Just food for thought…what’s your take?
Back to top Go down
https://aboutbillythekid.forumotion.net
Russell Burrows

Male Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:02 am

Marcelle Brothers wrote:
We've seen the hair locks claimed to be Billy's at the Billy the Kid Museum in Fort Sumner and now there's a barber's chair on displaced at Mesilla. The story is Billy got a hair cut just before he went to court for his trial. It makes sense, his lawyer might’ve wanted him to clean up for trial and it would also explain why the barber or whoever kept pieces of his locks – “I got hair from a famous outlaw!”

So I'm wondering how authenticate is this scenario? Could that hair at the museum be real after all?

Just food for thought…what’s your take?

I don't think so Marcelle. I have looked closely, or as close as I could at it and it is far to fine to be human hair. I still believe it is a dolls hair

Russ
Back to top Go down
Marcelle Brothers
Admin
Admin
Marcelle Brothers

Female Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:38 am

I don't think so either, if I remember correctly, the hair looked too coarse and there really was no provenance to back it up.

Although, I still wonder about the possiblity of Billy getting his hair trimmed for trial. I wonder if the clothes he was wearing where still the ones that Garrett bought them in Las Vegas and if so, I bet his shaggy hair was the least of his appearance Wink

Hey Russ, congrats on your two gold stars cheers
Back to top Go down
https://aboutbillythekid.forumotion.net
Russell Burrows

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Marcelle Brothers wrote:
I don't think so either, if I remember correctly, the hair looked too coarse and there really was no provenance to back it up.

Although, I still wonder about the possiblity of Billy getting his hair trimmed for trial. I wonder if the clothes he was wearing where still the ones that Garrett bought them in Las Vegas and if so, I bet his shaggy hair was the least of his appearance Wink

Hey Russ, congrats on your two gold stars cheers

Thanks Marcelle. I figured it was time I started posting. I have much more information on the Native American issue but I'll do it at another time.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Marcelle,

I agree with you and Russ on the hair at the museum in Fort Sumner that is claimed to be Billy’s. It looks as coarse as a hogs hair, and much like what you would see on a doll. It also looks orange to me.

Unfortunately I have a predisposition to disbelieve most of what is in that museum as I have found other items that are fraudulent, and/or misrepresented. The museum itself is quite nice, and expansive. They have a number of items on display that are authentic “period” pieces. Its a shame that they feel they have to stretch the truth to draw in tourists. Perhaps they acquired these things when they bought the museum and are simply continuing and earlier misrepresentation. Who knows, but its a shame they can’t just clean it up and let the place stand on its own merit.

Now that we are on this topic, I have to admit that I have a predisposition to disbelieve most artifacts of noted personalities. The marketplace is overrun with guns, holsters, badges etc. that are being represented as having belonged to someone famous. I know for an absolute fact that many of these are fake, and unfortunately many are now in good collections and museums where they are gaining legitimacy simply by being there.

Cliff
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
Russell Burrows

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Cliff Caldwell wrote:
Marcelle,

I agree with you and Russ on the hair at the museum in Fort Sumner that is claimed to be Billy’s. It looks as coarse as a hogs hair, and much like what you would see on a doll. It also looks orange to me.

Unfortunately I have a predisposition to disbelieve most of what is in that museum as I have found other items that are fraudulent, and/or misrepresented. The museum itself is quite nice, and expansive. They have a number of items on display that are authentic “period” pieces. Its a shame that they feel they have to stretch the truth to draw in tourists. Perhaps they acquired these things when they bought the museum and are simply continuing and earlier misrepresentation. Who knows, but its a shame they can’t just clean it up and let the place stand on its own merit.

Now that we are on this topic, I have to admit that I have a predisposition to disbelieve most artifacts of noted personalities. The marketplace is overrun with guns, holsters, badges etc. that are being represented as having belonged to someone famous. I know for an absolute fact that many of these are fake, and unfortunately many are now in good collections and museums where they are gaining legitimacy simply by being there.

Cliff

Cliff, it seems the attitude in those museums is "it is in a museum so it is authentic. Since I did that GPR at the Sumner Cemetary and found the ground under the monument was undisturbed, I just gave up on the place. Still, they keep pulling in the tourist and smiling all the way to the bank.

Russ
Back to top Go down
Craig S.

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 6:16 pm

Not trying to sound disagreeable, because I too am suspicious about the hair although it has been a long time since I was last in that museum. But can anyone recall how that alleged hair of Billy's compares to other samples of known human hair in other museums that has sat around for a very long time? What has age and exposure done to other samples of human hair on exhibit?

Craig
Back to top Go down
Bronte
Bronte

Female Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Good question Craig, but IMO you can still tell human hair from dummy hair.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Caldwell

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 9:02 pm

I don’t claim to be a hair expert. In fact, if you had met me you would get a big laugh because I started shaving my head when I became nearly as bald as a cue ball some years ago in my 50’s. That said, I am quite sure that nothing happens to hair over time (after it’s been removed from a human that is). I found this explanation of the fact that hair is already DEAD…thus it does not undergo any change:

Quote :
Hair is dead. To be specific, hair consists 90% of a biological polymer, α-keratin, and about 10% water, which modifies its mechanical properties. This α-helically coiled protein is further wound into supermolecular coiled-coil microfibrils, many of which are held together with a protein glue to form long macrofibrils, which are packed inside dead hair cells about 100 µm long by 3 µm across. Several of these associate to form one strand of hair, which is covered with tiny surface scales.

As far as comparing it to other hair samples is concerned, human hair varies widely as far as coarseness. Race has some bearing on hair characteristics. But in the end, hair looks like hair and plastic doll hair looks like plastic doll hair. My vote remains that the hair that was on display at that museum was not Billy’s hair and was in all likelihood doll hair. Adding weight to that belief is the fact that I am 100% certain of the fact that other items on display there are not authentic.
OK…enough said on hair.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cclandandcattle.com/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber   The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The legitimacy of Billy's date with a barber
Page 1 of 1